Saturday Mornings 9:30 am - 12:30 pm - 8 week course - Starting September 18th
Sat, 18 Sep 2021
Hand Building-Clay & Coil Pottery Techniques ... a Continuation
Pinch Pottery, Coil Building, and Slab Building
Intermediate/Advanced - This class is for students who have already accomplished coiling/pinching and slab techniques and want to move to the next level.
Handbuilding is an ancient pottery-making technique that involves creating forms without a pottery wheel, using the hands, fingers, and simple tools. The most common handbuilding techniques are pinch pottery, coil building, and slab building.
- Coiling is a method of creating pottery. It has been used to shape clay into vessels for many thousands of years. It is found across the cultures of the world, including Africa, Greece, China, and Native American cultures of New Mexico.
- The ancient art of making pinch pots is one of the most fundamental pottery making techniques for creating functional and sculptural forms. By methodically turning and pinching a ball of clay in the hand, the simple round shape may be used as a base piece to construct a more complex vessel or enjoyed as a singular natural form.
- The slab technique starts with smooth slabs of clay that are then formed around molds or shaped by hand.
Saturday mornings: (9:30 am - 12:30pm) - Oksana Klapischak - 8-week course.
What’s included in this class:
- 1-$20 Clay Coupon.
- Glazes and slips used for class pieces
- 24x24x12 personal shelf with an additional clay shelf.
- Break room locker with lock for personal belongings.
- Community clay tools will be available for use during classroom hours.
- Students enrolled in classes will be allowed open studio/limited access (3-days a week) during the 8-week sessions.Please read the Class Registration and Refund Policy Page before signing up for any of our classes, thank you!Once you register you will be sent our policy and procedures information packet for our studio.