Wednesday Mornings 10am - 1pm - 8 - week course - Starting March 24th 2021
Wed, 24 Mar 2021
Sculpting the Portrait in Clay
When visiting the many museums in Santa Fe or abroad; have you ever desired to make one of those beautiful sculptures you see on display from artists of the past or present? Some are marble, some are bronze and some are made entirely of clay. This is your chance to learn from Arlene Siegel a many talented portrait sculptress;
Arlene demonstrates the variety of sources including photographs, masks and models to enable you to sculpt the head of your choice. Your subject can be either a self-portrait photo or you can even use images of a painting of a famous figure. Arlene will be concentrating on details of features, understanding the use of mass to depict hair along with expression and body position give life to the subject. Students need to bring no less then eight photos going around and over the head all taken at eye level to avoid foreshortening when they are doing self-portraits.
You are encouraged to experiment with the many different sculpting tools available in our retail store as you gain experience.
- Wednesday mornings (10am - 1pm) - Arlene Siegel - 8 - week course.
What’s included in this class:
- 1-$15 Clay Coupon.
- Glazes and slips used for class pieces
- 24x24x12 personal shelf with an additional clay shelf.
- Break room locker with lock for personal belongings.
- 1-15% coupon in the retail store for any additional New Mexico Clay for class.
- An additional 3 hour glazing class; Tips & Tricks, working with slips, oxides and glazes for Cone 6
- Community clay tools will be available for use during classroom hours.
- Students enrolled in classes will be allowed open studio/limited access (3-days a week) during the 8-week sessions.