Special benefits of working with clay
Learning a new skill, especially one with a treasurable end product, has been proven to improve self-esteem. The tactile process of playing with clay is a mindful and relaxing activity, helping anyone to break away from everyday stresses and/or isolation. Many people, therefore, find that playing with clay is an important element in their mental health and happiness. However, there are currently very few places to play with clay that are spacious, with plenty of light; that are health-conscious, with a relaxing atmosphere; which are affordable, and which have the correct tools and facilities to be able to be inspired and to create.
The Clay Center of Santa Fe will offer all of the following, which come together to create an exceptional artistic environment:
- Large open floor plan studio with plenty of sturdy work tables
- 2 large wedging tables
- 18 throwing wheels
- Spacious cleanup stations - 3 for clay and 1 area for glazing
- Clean restrooms
- 2 slab rollers
- 20 new banding wheels for hand builders
- Retail gallery area
- Complete ceramic supply retail store front featuring New Mexico Clay.
- 2 oxidation kilns and one gas kiln for reduction in separate kiln room
- 20 cone 6 and cone 10 glaze colors
- Locker included with paid full access group studio.
- Plenty shelving storage.
- One bag of New Mexico clay is included in every class.
- Plenty of free parking
- Great location for artist exposure, and for tourists to walk in to purchase the center's artwork.
- Park area in complex for resting between work.
- Climate controlled.
- Lots of shopping nearby, with easy freeway access